Annual Budget Vote and School Board Election
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2021
Time: 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Location: Pocantico Hills School Gymnasium (in person*)
*If you are uncomfortable coming into the school to vote due to COVID, you must request an application for an absentee ballot. When completing the form, you must check the box "temporary illness or physical disability" to receive an absentee ballot. Applications will be available beginning April 21, 2021 (applications will not be accepted before April 21, 2021). The application for an absentee ballot can be found below or you can request to have one mailed to you through the District Clerk's office:
Gina Downes - email: email@example.com or 914-631-2440 x703.
For more information on how to register to vote and request an application for an absentee ballot click here.
Important 2021 Budget Dates
April 19 - School Board Petitions Due by 5 pm - District Clerk's Office
May 6 - Public Hearing on Proposed School Budget
May 10 - Last Day to Accept Applications for Absentee Ballots (if application is to be mailed)
May 13 - Last Day to Register to Vote
May 17 - Last Day to Accept Applications for Absentee Ballots in Person
May 18 - Annual Budget Vote and School Board Election
Absentee Ballot Applications
Important Military Information
Military Ballot Application Due - April 22, 2021
In order for a military voter to be issued a military ballot, a valid military ballot application must be returned to the district, by mail or in person, no later than 5 pm on the 26th day before the election.
Distribution of Military Ballots
Ballots for military voters shall be mailed or otherwise distributed in accordance with the preferred method of transmission on the military ballot application, as soon as practicable, but not later than 25 days before the election or by April 23, 2021.
Prospective Board Member Information
There are two (2) seats available; one member for three (3) years commencing on July 1, 2021 and expiring on June 30, 2024, and one member for the unexpired term caused by the resignation of Susan Burlazzi, effective upon taking the oath of office and expiring on June 30, 2022. Because candidates run at large and not for separate vacancies, all candidates run for all the vacant board seats. The highest vote getter will receive the three (3) year term and the second highest vote getter will receive the unexpired term seat.
To qualify for membership on a school board, an individual:
- Must be able to read and write,
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age by May 18, 2021,
- Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election,
- May not have been removed from any district office within the preceding year,
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family,
- May not be a current employee of the school board,
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
Prospective Board Member Resources
- Nominating Petition
- Solicitud de Nominacion de Candidato Para
- Campaign Expenditure Contribution Form
- Declaracion de Gastos y Contribuciones
- Running for the School Board
- Postulacion para el Consejo Escolar
- WPSBA Workshop for Prospective Board Members
- Taller de WPSBA para posibles miembros de la Junta Directiva
Not sure if you are registered to vote, click on the link below "Am I Registered" (in the Resources Section) to find out. If you are not registered, stop in to the District Clerk's office at 599 Bedford Road, Sleepy Hollow, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to fill out a registration form. Eligibility to vote in any school district election is as follows:
1. A citizen of the United States
2. At least 18 years of age
3. A resident within the school district for a period of 30 days preceding the election at which such person desires to vote
Gina L. Downes, District Clerk
(914) 631-2440 x703